Saturday, November 3, 2007

First Disciples

A key to the whole process must be the selection of the first disciples. They must consider themselves conduits. They must be "Pass it along" people, as well as Spiritually deep people.

I've had some requirements running around in my head.

1. Wanting to go deeper in their relationship with God.

2. Willing to meet with me for an hour a week. Ideally with the rest of the "First disciples," but due to horrible time restrictions on people's schedules, this may have to be one-on-one, but if twelve could be chosen (not possible at first), then you could have two or three groups. Perhaps this should be the limit of a church -- twelve functioning elders. Jesus didn't have more than twelve. So then you have to add complexity to your structure to disciple more and more people. Instead, perhaps you should daughter a church at this point, with one of your elders possibly starting the new church.

3. Willing to commit to the discipleship process, which will take them through the four aspects of discipleship, studying the classic texts, working on the monthly projects in some capacity.

4. Willing to gather others in their homes twice a month to extend the process.

5. Take an elders test that I found with the Great Commission. I took this test in one church. The Great Commission only allows men as elders, which I will allow women. And the test isn't a pass/fail. I was told if I don't show any problems on the test, I'm probably not transparent or outright lying. It shows a disciple where he/she needs to grow, and could in the process show that they shouldn't be in leadership at this time. You have to have a password to look at their resources.

6. Willing to participate in monthly projects, bringing others from their group with them.

7. Willing to participate in functions either on Sunday morning or a Quarterly gathering to be available to meet people who might like to participate in their bi-monthly home group.

This is an area I have failed. I haven't made a list of requirements and held anyone to it. I'm assuming this should be my #1 priority. It was certainly Jesus' #1 priority.

1 comment:

amanda june said...

I would argue that Jesus' number one priorities were loving and serving the Father & loving and serving people.